Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tahini

"What is Tahini?" you may ask.  The first time I made Hummus, I asked myself the same question.  Tahini Paste is a common ingredient in a lot of middle-eastern foods as well as dips and sauces.  It's sometimes called "Sesame Paste".  I have run into a lot of recipes that call for it.  One of the biggest problems is that at 16 oz. jar of decent Tahini of it can cost $12-15.


In the last couple of months, I've figured out that I can save this money.  How did I figure this recipe out?  Well, funny story.  I was grumbling about how much it cost and I looked at the back of the jar to see what all was in it.  It turns out there are TWO ingredients in this liquid gold I've buying.  On top of that, they're incredibly common and incredibly cheap ingredients.  So, now I've worked out an easy method and the right proportions, I'm sharing this recipe with you.

Ingredients:

2 c. Sesame Seeds

1/2 c. Unrefined Sesame Oil

Directions:

1.  Put the 2 c. of Sesame Seeds in a blender.  With the lid on the blender, blend on a medium-high setting (Mix or Purée) until the seeds are finely ground.  You may have to scrape the sides with a rubber spatula once or twice and run the blender again.




2.  With a rubber spatula, scrape the sides to get all the ground seeds to the bottom in a pile around the blade.  Then, add the Sesame Oil.  Blend on a low setting (Stir) for 30 - 60 seconds until the oil and seeds are well mixed.  Then, blend on a medium-low setting (Chop or Mix) for at least two minutes.  The seeds should continue to blend into finer pieces so that the whole thing gets to be a thick pasty consistency.

3.  Scoop the paste out of the blender into a jar, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment