Sunday, May 13, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

Last week, I explained how to make beans.  This week, I'm going to explain one of my favorite ways to use them.  I tend to think of Red Beans and Rice as a Southern dish, but myself, not being a Southerner have been making them for years.  I've tweaked and modified my recipe for years to get it to this point, and I never quite make it the same way twice.  So, here's how I made this dish this week.

Ingredients:
2 c. Red Beans - drained
*If you cook them from scratch, leave them slightly harder than you normally would, as they'll cook more in this recipe.

3 3/4 c. Liquid from the Beans and Water added to make full amount - set aside
*Try to read ahead when you're making this and don't throw the Bean Juice away! 


2 c. Brown Rice - not parboiled

1/4 c. Ketchup
(Wait, did he really say Ketchup?  Yes, he did.  I think he's gone over the edge.)
 
1-2 Chile Peppers (depending on how brave you are)
*You can replace this with 1 T. of Crushed Red Pepper or 1 t. of Cayenne Pepper

1/2 t. Cumin

1 t. Salt

1 T. Olive Oil

3 Garlic Cloves

Directions:
1.  After peeling the Garlic Cloves, crush them.


2.  Cut the top off Chile(s), slice them in half down the middle, and remove the seeds.

3.  Put the Beans, Rice, crushed Garlic Cloves, and Chile Pepper into a medium-sized saucepan.

Pictured sans Rice

4.  Add the 3 3/4 c. Bean Juice/Water mixture, Ketchup, and Olive Oil.
*If the beans are slightly undercooked, add another 1/8 c. of water.


5.  Turn the stove on high, and add the Cumin and Salt.   
*Don't stir them in - they'll mix on their own.  If you stir rice, it gets gummy.

6.  Cook on high heat until it gets to a rolling boil.  Let boil, uncovered, for 3-4 min.

7.  Cover and turn down to Low Heat, and let it simmer for 50 min.

8.  If you still hear water boiling in the pot after 50 min, turn off the burner and just let it set for 10 min. while it finishes cooking on its own.

Done!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment